Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3: Everything You Need to Know About the Open Beta
| Johnathon Reyes
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3: Everything You Need to Know About the Open Beta
What is Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3?
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is the latest installment in the iconic first-person shooter franchise, developed by Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games. It is a direct sequel to last year’s Modern Warfare 2, continuing the story of Captain Price, Soap, Ghost, and the rest of Task Force 141 as they fight against a new global threat.
Modern Warfare 3 features a brand new campaign, multiplayer experience, and more. It also brings back some of the most beloved maps from the 2009 Modern Warfare 2, remastered with the latest technical advancements and modern movement mechanics for a completely refreshed experience.
When and How Can I Play the Open Beta?
The Open Beta for Modern Warfare 3 will be split into two different weekends, with more maps and game modes scheduled throughout the Beta. The Open Beta is free for everyone to play, but you can get early access if you pre-order the game.
Here are the details for each weekend:
Weekend One: October 6–10
Weekend One is available exclusively on PlayStation® 4 and PlayStation 5.
- PlayStation Early Access: Players who pre-ordered the game on PlayStation can begin playing the Beta on Friday, October 6 at 10 AM PT.
- PlayStation Open Beta: Starting on Sunday, October 8 at 10 AM PT, the rest of the PlayStation community can begin playing the Beta.
- The Weekend One Beta ends for everyone on Tuesday, October 10 at 10 AM PT.
PlayStation players can download the Beta from the PlayStation Store. Players who pre-order digitally don’t need a Beta code to participate; they’re automatically registered to participate in the Early Access period. If you purchased Modern Warfare 3 through a participating retailer, you should have received a Beta code printed on the retail receipt or sent via email on an online receipt. Get more details on accessing the Beta by visiting the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III Beta FAQ1.
Weekend Two: October 12–16
Weekend Two is available for all platforms: PlayStation® 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.
- Early Access (PC, Xbox): Players who pre-ordered the game on PC or Xbox can begin playing the Beta on Thursday, October 12 at 10 AM PT.
- Open Beta (all platforms): Starting on Saturday, October 14 at 10 AM PT, the Open Beta will be available for everyone on all platforms.
- The Weekend Two Beta ends for everyone on Monday, October 16 at 10 AM PT.
PC and Xbox players can pre-order digitally or through participating retailers to get early access to the Beta. You will receive a code to redeem with Activision and get a new code to enter on your chosen device’s store page. You can also pre-order through Battle.net for PC or Microsoft Store for Xbox to get automatic access to the Early Access period.
What Maps and Modes Can I Play in the Open Beta?
The Open Beta will feature five maps and five game modes at launch, with more content being added throughout the Beta. The maps are all remastered versions of classic maps from Modern Warfare 2, featuring new graphics, lighting, and gameplay improvements.
The maps are:
- Favela: Set in beautiful Rio de Janeiro, Favela’s topography gives you a number of options to choose from when engaging enemy Operators. Stick to the perimeter to keep opponents at range along the streets and through the shacks, or head into the central alleys to fight up close.
- Highrise: A skyscraper under construction in Dubai offers multiple levels of verticality and long sightlines for snipers and marksman rifles. Use the crane and helicopter to flank your enemies or take cover behind the office desks and cubicles.
- Invasion: A war-torn urban map set in Baghdad, Invasion features a mix of open and close-quarters combat. Watch out for enemy fire from the rooftops and windows, or use the buildings and vehicles as cover.
- Rust: A small and chaotic map set in an oil yard in Afghanistan, Rust is perfect for fast-paced action and close-quarters combat. Climb up the metal tower for a vantage point or hide behind the pipes and containers.
- Terminal: A fan-favorite map set in an airport terminal in Moscow, Terminal offers a variety of engagement ranges and routes. Fight your way through the security checkpoints, baggage claim area, bookstore, and airplane.
The game modes are:
- Team Deathmatch: The classic mode where two teams of six players compete to get the most kills. No objectives, no respawns limits, just pure carnage.
- Domination: A mode where two teams of six players fight to capture and hold three flags on the map. The more flags you control, the more points you earn. The first team to reach 200 points wins.
- Kill Confirmed: A mode where two teams of six players try to collect dog tags from fallen enemies to score points. You can also deny enemy points by collecting your teammates’ dog tags. The first team to reach 65 points wins.
- Hardpoint: A mode where two teams of six players compete to capture and hold a rotating objective on the map. Only one team can earn points at a time by being inside the hardpoint. The first team to reach 250 points wins.
- Search and Destroy: A mode where two teams of six players take turns attacking and defending two bomb sites on the map. The attacking team has to plant the bomb at one of the sites and defend it until it explodes, while the defending team has to prevent that from happening or defuse the bomb. Each round lasts 1.5 minutes, and each player has only one life per round. The first team to win six rounds wins.
How Does Progression Work in the Open Beta?
The Open Beta will allow you to level up your Operator, weapons, and loadouts as you play. You will have access to a variety of weapons, perks, equipment, killstreaks, and field upgrades to customize your loadouts and suit your playstyle.
You will also be able to unlock new cosmetics for your Operator, such as skins, helmets, gloves, and more. You can also earn Calling Cards, Emblems, and Sprays to show off your personality and achievements.
All the progress you make in the Open Beta will carry over to the full game when it launches on November 10, so you can continue where you left off.
What Rewards Can I Earn in the Open Beta?
By playing the Open Beta, you will not only get a taste of the action-packed gameplay of Modern Warfare 3, but also earn some exclusive rewards that you can use in the full game.
Here are some of the rewards you can earn:
- Beta Combat Pack: Play one match in the Open Beta and get a free Combat Pack that includes an Operator skin, a weapon blueprint, a calling card, an emblem, a spray, and a charm.
- Double XP Token: Play two matches in the Open Beta and get a free Double XP Token that you can use in the full game to boost your XP gains for one hour.
- Beta Weapon Charm: Play three matches in the Open Beta and get a free Weapon Charm that you can attach to any weapon in the full game.
- Beta Calling Card: Play four matches in the Open Beta and get a free Calling Card that you can use in the full game to display your Beta participation.
- Beta Emblem: Play five matches in the Open Beta and get a free Emblem that you can use in the full game to show off your Beta status.
How Can I Give Feedback on the Open Beta?
The Open Beta is a great opportunity for you to experience Modern Warfare 3 before its official release and help us make it even better. We value your feedback and suggestions on how we can improve the game.
You can share your feedback with us through various channels:
- In-game Survey: After playing a few matches in the Open Beta, you will be prompted to take a short survey and rate your experience. Please take a few minutes to complete it and let us know what you think.
- Online Forums: You can also visit our official online forums2 and join the discussion with other players and developers. You can post your feedback, report any bugs or issues, ask questions, or share your tips and tricks.
- Social Media: You can also follow us on our social media platforms3 and stay updated on the latest news, updates, and events. You can also use the hashtag #MW3Beta to share your thoughts, screenshots, videos, and clips with us and the community.
Are You Ready for Modern Warfare 3?
We hope this guide has given you all the information you need to enjoy the Open Beta and get ready for Modern Warfare 3. We can’t wait for you to join us on the battlefield and experience the next chapter of this epic saga.
Modern Warfare 3 launches on PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S on November 10. Pre-order now4 and get early access to the Open Beta, as well as other bonuses such as the Night Raid Mastercraft Weapon Blueprint and more.
See you online, soldier!